Distracted Driving Car Accidents
There are many inherent dangers associated with driving a motor vehicle, from handling adverse weather conditions to reacting to the reckless or erratic actions of another driver. Safe driving requires that you focus your complete attention on the road at all times. Unfortunately, many drivers are often focused on other tasks, and this significantly increases the chances of a car accident.
Due to our increasing reliance on portable electronic devices in our lives, distracted driving is increasing at an alarming rate. In fact, it is now one of the most common causes of car accidents in the United States. If you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by a distracted driver, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your damages.
The best way to learn about your rights and options after being injured in a car accident is to speak with Michael K. Grife in person. Please call 561-998-0770 today to schedule a free consultation at Mr. Grife’s Boca Raton office.
The Dangers of Distracted Driving
The number of injuries from distracted driving car accidents has risen steadily over the past few years. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were approximately 421,000 injuries and over 3,300 fatalities caused by distracted driving car accidents in 2012. In addition:
- 10% of teenage drivers involved in fatal car accidents were reported as distracted at the time of the accident
- Drivers take their eyes off the road for approximately 5 seconds while texting, which is long enough to travel the distance of a football field when driving at 55 mph
- The use of portable electronic devices while driving increases your risk of a car accident by three times
- Studies have demonstrated that texting while driving impairs your ability as much as driving while intoxicated
These actions place the lives of others sharing the road in danger. Mr. Grife understands the significance of this problem, and he is committed to holding distracted drivers accountable for their negligent and reckless actions.
Cell Phone Use While Driving
The dangers of using a cell phone while driving cannot be overstated. According to the NHTSA, cell phone usage impairs a driver’s ability in numerous ways, including:
- Drivers are 18% slower to react to brake lights in front of them
- Drivers take 17% longer to return to their original speed after braking
- Texting while driving causes a 400% increase in the amount of time a driver’s eyes are not focused on the road
It should not be surprising that approximately 18% of fatal distracted driving car accidents involve drivers using their cell phones.
Other Causes of Distracted Driving
While cell phone usage may be the most common form of distracted driving, there are many other sources of distraction that place the lives of others in danger. Some of the most common include:
- Talking to passengers
- Eating and drinking while driving
- Adjusting an iPod or other music controls on your car stereo
- Using a GPS device
- Brushing your hair, applying makeup, or other grooming activities
- Looking at interesting sights on the side of the road
Mr. Grife will work with a team of experts to carefully investigate the cause of your accident. If he finds that your injuries were caused by a distracted driver, Mr. Grife will fight aggressively to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Turn To A Boca Raton Distracted Driving Car Accidents Attorney At The Grife Law Firm
No Fees Unless You Win
If you were involved in a distracted driving car accident and injured, you should contact a Boca Raton distracted driving car accident attorney at The Grife Law Firm to get the justice you deserve. We help injured individuals throughout Broward and Miami-Dade Counties, including in West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami. Call us at 855-998-0770 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.
We offer Free Consultations
Our Team is Spanish Speaking
Call Anytime, Available 24/7/365
Same Day Communication