Boca Raton Car Accident Data Sheds Light on a Serious Problem
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) tracks accident data for each year by county. While statistics are not available by city, the most recent data available for 2021 from the FLHSMV paints a sobering picture:
- There were 24,850 crashes in Boca Raton and Palm Beach County
- Those crashes resulted in 209 fatalities and 15,197 injuries
- This included 290 crashes due to driving while under the influence of alcohol, which resulted in 7 fatalities and 140 injuries
- It also included 29 accidents due to driving while under the influence of drugs, which resulted in 5 fatalities and 32 injuries
Comparing this data to the data for 2020, you see some startling increases:
- For 2020, there were 22,106 accidents resulting in 185 fatalities and 12,832 injuries
- This included 265 alcohol-related accidents that resulted in 9 fatalities and 171 injuries
- It also included 30 drug-related accidents that resulted in 6 fatalities and 27 injuries
While the statistics for 2020 are believed to have been affected by the pandemic, it is interesting to note that Boca Raton and Palm Beach County see almost 25,000 car accidents per year, thousands of which result in serious injuries. Furthermore, the number of alcohol and drug-related car accidents remains shockingly high, despite our efforts to discourage driving while intoxicated. With 100,000 people living in Boca Raton, our residents face the danger of being involved in a serious car accident every time they get on the road.
Car Accident FAQs
The insurance company has already offered to send me a check to cover my injuries and other losses. Should I accept it?
Many people are surprised at how quickly the insurance company offers to send them a check to cover their losses. Before answering whether or not you should accept the payment, it’s first important to understand what this offer represents.
The insurance company is offering this payment as a full and final settlement of your claim. This means that if you accept it, you are not entitled to any additional compensation even if your losses are greater than you anticipated. In other words, you cannot seek more money if you find out that your injuries will require additional medical treatment or limit your ability to work.
We recommend that you do not accept any such offer until you have discussed it with an experienced Boca Raton car accident attorney. They will be able to evaluate the offer and help you decide whether it is fair or not.
Will I have to go to court for my Boca Raton car accident?
Most personal injury cases settle long before trial, many without even needing to file a lawsuit. The accident victim and the insurance company negotiate a compensation award that is mutually agreeable to both sides.
However, there are no guarantees that your claim will be settled without litigation. Insurance companies can sometimes be unreasonable and unwilling to negotiate. Cases involving complicated factual issues or nuanced legal questions often require going to court to find a resolution. While it is difficult to predict the outcome, a Boca Raton car accident attorney can evaluate your claim and identify any specific issues that may make it difficult to settle.
How does the settlement process work after a car accident?
Once you have a reasonable estimate of what your claim is worth, the settlement process begins by making written demand upon the insurance company. Typically referred to as a “demand letter,” your written demand will lay out the specific amount you believe you are entitled to in order to be made whole. The demand letter will also outline the reasons why you believe you are entitled to that amount. The demand letter essentially is an offer of settlement, whereby you agree to waive your legal rights if they agree to pay the amount demanded.
The insurance company will review your demand letter and will typically respond in one of the following ways:
- They will refuse to pay the amount demanded; or
- They will refuse to pay the amount demanded and make a counter-offer.
If the insurance company simply refuses to pay the amount demanded, your only option is to file a lawsuit. However, this doesn’t mean that your case won’t settle – negotiations can continue while the suit is pending and your case can settle at any time prior to the final verdict.
A counter-offer means that the insurance company is willing to negotiate. Once they make a counter-offer, you can then decide whether to reject the counter-offer or make your own counter-offer. A Boca Raton car accident attorney can guide you through the negotiation process so that you can make an informed decision at every step of the way.
What is my car accident claim worth?
If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for the following:
- Your medical expenses caused by the accident, especially any uncovered losses
- Any lost income as a result of being unable to work due to your injuries
- Your pain and suffering
- Damage to your vehicle, rental car expenses, and any other losses
The value of your claim will depend largely on the severity of your injuries. A knowledgeable Boca Raton car accident lawyer can estimate the value of your claim at your first consultation.
What can a Boca Raton car accident attorney do for me?
An experienced and compassionate car accident lawyer can do far more than file a lawsuit. We help our clients in the following ways:
- By handling all of the communications and correspondence with the insurance companies, the other driver, and any other parties involved in your case
- By making arrangements for a rental car or other transportation
- By helping coordinate whatever medical treatment you may need
- By gathering the documentation you need to prove your claim, including reviewing your medical records to ensure that they clearly demonstrate the extent of your injuries, your limitations, and your expected recovery
- By helping you pay your bills and take care of your family
- By providing you with the information you need to make informed decisions about your case
- By handling the negotiation of your claim
Turn To A Boca Raton Car Accidents Attorney At The Grife Law Firm
No Fees Unless You WinIf you have been injured because of someone else’s careless actions on the water, you should contact a Boca Raton boat accident attorney at The Grife Law Firm to find out more about your legal options. We assist injured individuals throughout Broward and Miami-Dade Counties, including in West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami. Call us at 855-998-0770 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation. We also are available to assist people who need a cruise ship accident attorney when they are injured on vacation.
We offer Free Consultations
Our Team is Spanish Speaking
Call Anytime, Available 24/7/365
Same Day Communication