Our Boca Raton Bed Sores Attorneys Explain the Dangers of Bed Sores
Bed sores are a serious problem for not only the elderly but also for many other people under adverse conditions. According to Johns Hopkins, “[b]edsores can happen when a person is bedridden or otherwise immobile, unconscious, or unable to sense pain. Bedsores are ulcers that happen on areas of the skin that are under pressure from lying in bed, sitting in a wheelchair, or wearing a cast for a prolonged time. Bedsores are also called pressure injuries, pressure sores, pressure ulcers, or decubitus ulcers.”
A Boca Raton bed sores lawyer at The Grife Law Firm is experienced with bed sores and any other type of nursing care facility negligent behavior.
Early Symptoms of Bed Sores
Keep an eye out for these symptoms when you or a loved one is at risk for bed sores:
- Discoloration of some parts of the skin. Red patches commonly show up on people with lighter skin, and purple or blue patches commonly show up on people with darker skin.
- Itchiness or pain around the discolored patches.
- Warm, spongy, or hard patches of skin.
- Pressure on the discolored patches that do not turn white when pressure is applied.
These symptoms would be categorized as Category One bed sores.
Late Symptoms of Bed Sores
These are indicators that the condition needs immediate treatment:
- Category Two bed sores: blisters or open wounds.
- Category Three bed sores: wounds that are deep enough to reach the deeper layers of the skin.
- Category Four bed sores: Very deep wounds that reach even down to the muscle and bone.
Treatment for Bed Sores
Treatments for bed sores depend on how severe they are.
For the lucky or attentive, bedsores are simply an inconvenience, requiring simple nursing care. For others, particularly those whose symptoms went unnoticed or untreated, they can lead to life-threatening complications. The common methods for treatment include:
- A procedure to clean the wound and remove damaged tissue.
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet.
- Applying dressings to speed up the healing process and help relieve pressure.
- Regularly changing positions and moving to the extent possible rather than constantly laying in the same position,
- Using cushions that have a pump to provide a constant flow of air, dynamic mattresses, or specifically-designed static foam cushions or mattresses.
Put more simply, movement is the key. Bed sores develop when the patient remains constantly static. A Boca Raton bed sores attorney at The Grife Law Firm can provide more information
How Can a Boca Raton Bed Sores Lawyer at The Grife Law Firm Help Me?
Nursing homes or other similar facilities can be held liable for bed sores, and subject to a lawsuit. These facilities are notorious for negligent patient care, putting profits ahead of quality care. Adding to their liability is the fact that bed sores are completely preventable. The very fact that you or your loved one has serious bed sores means that somebody is treating you or them negligently. A bed sore lawsuit may very well get you the financial compensation you deserve for your needless suffering.
We’ll treat you with kindness, compassion, and respect, but we will mercilessly hold any negligent party accountable for their inhumane actions. The elderly in particular have earned our respect, and shouldn’t have to spend the remainder of their lives in pain. Call us at 855-998-0770 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.
We offer Free Consultations
Our Team is Spanish Speaking
Call Anytime, Available 24/7/365
Same Day Communication